- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 small Vidalia onion, finely grated
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Preheat 2 inches peanut oil in a deep-fryer or Dutch oven to 375 degrees F. Whisk the cornmeal, flour, 1 teaspoon salt, the sugar, cayenne and paprika in a large bowl to get rid of the lumps. (No one likes a lumpy hushpuppy.) Mix in the remaining ingredients, stirring well to combine.
Dip 2 spoons into a mug of water (this allows the batter to come clean off). Scoop up about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the batter and carefully slide it into the hot oil, working in batches. Fry the scoops of batter 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked all the way through (test the first one for doneness). Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet, seasoning with salt as soon as they come out of the fryer.
Photograph by David Malosh