Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus 1 tablespoon for greasing dish
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere
- 2 (8-ounce) raw lobster tails, defrosted if frozen, meat removed from shell, chopped
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley leaves
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and adjust racks to the middle. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with butter.
In a large pot of boiling salted water over medium heat, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta and reserve.
Add 4 tablespoons butter to a large pot over medium heat. Once the butter shimmers, add the shallots and garlic and saute until translucent. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the tomato paste and flour and stir to toast, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the white wine and reduce, by half, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the cream, whisking well to remove any lumps. Add the paprika, cayenne, and bay leaf. Bring the cream up to a simmer and turn the heat to low. Let reduce until the cream is thick and can coat a spoon, about 5 to 10 minutes. When thickened, remove the bay leaves.
Stir in the grated cheeses, a handful at a time, combining well after each addition. Add the chopped lobster meat to the sauce and stir well. Add the pasta and stir. Add to the greased baking dish and sprinkle with the panko crumbs and parsley. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle individual servings with parsley.
Recipe courtesy The Neelys