Memphis Cornmeal Battered Cod
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) ice cold beer
- 2 tablespoon honey
- Peanut oil
- 6 (6-ounce) cod fillets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tartar Sauce, recipe follows
- Tartar Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper relish, jarred
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl, add flour, cornmeal, cayenne and sugar and mix together. Whisk in cold beer and honey until well incorporated and free of lumps.
Preheat deep-fryer to 375 degrees F. with peanut oil.
Season cod with salt and pepper and dredge in batter. Allow excess batter to drip off and place gently into the deep-fryer. Fry for 6 to 8 minutes until golden, crisp and delicious. Drain on paper towels. Place cod on a large serving platter or individual places and serve with Tartar Sauce.Tartar Sauce:
In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together.