Molten Lava Cakes
- 2 sticks butter, unsalted, plus more for ramekins
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch nutmeg
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Butter 8 (6-ounce) ramekins and sprinkle each with about 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
In a saucepan combine butter, cinnamon, cayenne, nutmeg, and chocolate over low heat until melted and smooth; stir frequently. Cool slightly.
In a large bowl whisk together flour, confectioners' sugar, eggs and yolks, vanilla extract and almond extract until creamy. Add melted chocolate to the batter and whisk together.
Pour into prepared ramekins.
Bake cakes until the top is stiff and cracked and the edges are dark, about 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges of the cake with a small paring knife then invert onto plates while warm.
Recipe courtesy The Neelys