Neely's Asparagus Casserole
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for sauteing
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, rough ends removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill leaves
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions and garlic; saute until translucent and fragrant and season with salt and pepper. Add the asparagus and saute until just tender. Remove from heat and Let cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, dill and cheeses.
In a separate bowl, add panko, paprika and butter. Mix well to combine.
Place asparagus in casserole dish. Pour the egg mixture over the asparagus and top with the panko, spreading evenly.
Place in the preheated oven and bake until casserole is set and the bread crumbs are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of The Neelys
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello