Neely's Fried Zucchini
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 3 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- Ranch dressing, for dipping
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsSpicy Dipping Sauce:
Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
Measure flour into a pie plate. In another pie plate combine panko, Parmesan, parsley, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper, to taste. In a third plate add eggs and water. Dredge the zucchini in the flour, followed by the egg and finally in the panko.
Working in batches, place the breaded zucchini slices in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined sheet tray and immediately season with salt and pepper. Serve alongside the zucchini.
For the sauce:
Add all the ingredients into a serving bowl and mix until incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and let flavors marinate for at least 1 hour.
Recipe courtesy of The Neelys