Neely's Jumbo Coconut Shrimp
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated garlic powder
- Zesty Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
- 1 (6-ounce) jar orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup sweet Asian chili sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
Butterfly shrimp and set aside.
In medium bowl mix together panko and coconut. In another medium bowl beat eggs and dash of salt and pepper. In a third bowl mix flour, onion and garlic powder together. Dredge shrimp in flour, then eggs, then the bread crumbs.
Place in preheated deep-fryer and fry, in batches, until crisp and golden brown; 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined sheet tray. Serve hot with Zesty Dipping Sauce on the side.
Zesty Dipping Sauce:
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.