Neely's Strawberry Pie
- 2 sheets roll-out pie crust
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- White sanding sugar, for top of crust
- 5 cups strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- Strawberry Whipped Cream, recipe follows, optional
- Strawberry Whipped Cream:
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Roll out 1 sheet of the pie crust and put in a 9-inch pie plate, crimping the edges for a pretty presentation. Roll out the other sheet and cut into 1/2-inch thick strips with a sharp knife or pastry wheel. *Cook's Note: For a fancier crust: use a 1 to 1 1/2-inch circular cookie cutter and cut out circles. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together all of the filling ingredients and pour into the crust.
Arrange the strips over the top of the pie in a lattice pattern, tucking in the edges, or layer the circular shapes on top of the strawberries. Brush the top with the melted butter and sprinkle the sanding sugar. Bake the pie for 25 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F. and bake until the top is golden brown, another 30 minutes. Let cool before serving with Strawberry Whipped Cream, if desired.Strawberry Whipped Cream:
Beat the heavy cream in a medium bowl until thick. Add the vanilla and confectioners' sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks appear. Add the jam, a little at a time, and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
Recipe courtesy of The Neelys