Pat's Pulled Pork Tacos
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) boneless pork butt, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 small can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 orange, halved and juiced
- 1 lime, halved and juiced
- 1 package corn tortillas, warmed
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Zesty Slaw, recipe follows
- Zesty Slaw:
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 head napa cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 tablespoons freshly sliced green onions
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Mix the oregano, chipotle powder, cumin, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
Season the cubed pork chunks with the spice mixture and put into a large Dutch oven. Add the onion, garlic, chicken stock, the tomato puree, honey, orange and lime juice, and the juiced orange and lime halves. Stir together with a wooden spoon. Put the pot on medium heat and bring the mixture to a simmer. Transfer to the oven and cook, covered, until the pork is tender and easily shreds, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Remove the meat from the Dutch oven to a cutting board. Set the Dutch oven over medium heat and reduce the liquid until it becomes slightly syrupy, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the meat and add to a bowl. Drizzle the reduced cooking liquid into the pork and toss. Serve with tortillas, cilantro, sour cream and Zesty Slaw.Zesty Slaw:
Whisk the rice wine vinegar, lime juice, canola oil, and sugar together in a small bowl.
Add the cabbage, cilantro, green onions, and carrot to a large serving bowl and combine. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Recipe courtesy The Neelys
Cuban Pulled Pork Tacos with Guava Glaze, Sour Orange Red Cabbage-Jicama Slaw and Chipotle Mayonnaise
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay