Pat's Roast Beef
- 1 (3-pound) beef roast, trimmed of excess fat
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup low-sodium beef stock
- 2 tablespoons gravy flour (recommended: Wondra)
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Season the beef with salt and pepper, to taste.
Heat 2 tablespoons the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add the meat and sear on all sides.
Add the mushrooms and onions to a bowl and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and toss. Add to the skillet around the roast.
Put the skillet in the oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 130 degrees F, about 40 minutes. Remove the roast from the oven to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Remove the onions and mushrooms from the skillet.
While the beef is resting, prepare the gravy.
Slice the beef into very thin slices. Transfer to a platter and serve with the mushrooms, onions and gravy.
Recipe courtesy of The Neelys