- Nonstick spray
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups no-sugar-added applesauce
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Special equipment: Bundt cake pan
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Adjust the racks to the center of the oven. Spray a Bundt pan with nonstick spray.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, cloves and nutmeg in a large bowl.
Beat together the butter and brown sugar in a separate bowl with an electric hand-held mixer until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the applesauce, ending with the flour, being careful not to over-mix. Transfer the batter to the prepared Bundt pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, 55 minutes. Cool completely before inverting. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if using.