Spicy Black Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (4-ounce) dry-cured chorizo sausage, chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 canned chipotle chile plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Sliced green onions, for serving
- Cumin Lime Sour Cream:
- 1/2 cup lowfat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the soup: Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo, onions, garlic and jalapeno and saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the black beans, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce and broth and simmer for 25 minutes so all the flavors can marry together.
Blend half of the soup, using either a blender or an immersion blender, leaving some whole beans for texture.
For the sour cream: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
Taste for seasoning and plate topped with cumin lime sour cream and sliced green onions.
Recipe courtesy The Neelys
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen