Spicy Macaroni and Cheese with Chorizo Sausage
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package chorizo, casings removed and finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded Monterey pepper jack
- 1 cup sharp white Cheddar
- 1 (2.7-ounce) can fried onions
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Saute the chorizo in a saute pan until crisp. Remove.
Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add flour, stirring for 1 minute. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a boil. Continue to whisk constantly. Stir while adding the mustard, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Stir in the cheese; reserving 1/2 cup for the topping. The mixture will thicken as the heat increases.
Pour the drained pasta into the cheese sauce and mix well. Add to a 3-quart casserole dish. Add the chorizo and roasted cherry tomatoes. Top with reserved cheese and the fried onions. Bake for 35 minutes. Can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before baking if refrigerated.