- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 lime, zested
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated ginger
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil leaves
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp (16/20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Gina's Chili Cocktail Sauce, for dipping, recipe follows
Special equipment: bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes to 1 hour
Whisk all the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Add the shrimp to a large resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
Oil the grill rack with a clean kitchen towel dipped in olive oil.
Skewer the shrimp, adding 1 or 2 wedges of lime onto each skewer. Grill for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill to a platter and serve with the Chili Cocktail Sauce.
Gina's Chili Cocktail Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 4 tablespoons hot Chinese mustard
Add all the ingredients to a serving bowl and mix well.