Pepper-crusted Steak with Strawberry Zinfandel Sauce and Orange-Mustard Aioli
- 1/4 cup stone ground mustard
- 1/4 cup prepared mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 orange
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups red Zinfandel wine
- 1/4 pint strawberries, cleaned and halved
- 1/2 cup orange-flavored liqueur
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 (4 to 6-ounce) strip steaks
- 3 tablespoons freshly cracked black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 head frisee lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored, and julienned
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Blend the mustard, mayonnaise, 1/4 of orange juice, and salt, and pepper, to taste in a food processor or blender.
In a saucepan, combine the wine with the strawberries, orange-flavored liqueur, beef stock, and honey. Bring it to a simmer over medium heat, and cook until its reduced by half. Pour the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth.
Coat the steaks in black peppercorns and season liberally with salt. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in an oven-proof saute pan over medium-high heat and sear the steaks for 2 minutes on each side, then transfer the pan to the oven, and cook for 8 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
While the steak is cooking, mix together the frisee, red onion, tomatoes, apples, and radishes in a bowl. Whisk together the remaining orange juice, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a small bowl. Season the dressing with salt, and pepper, to taste. Add the dressing to the salad and toss to coat. Serve the steaks over a bed of the salad and top with the zinfandel sauce and a bit of the aioli.
Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Paul Young
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller