- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, plus more for pan
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Almond Buttercream Frosting, recipe follows
- Cook's Note: This is the basic recipe for a sour cream pound cake with almond buttercream frosting. This recipe would have to be modified to make into a wedding cake.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour a tube pan and set aside.
In the bowl of a mixer, cream butter and sugar together and then add sour cream. Sift flour and baking soda together. Add to creamed mixture, alternately with eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add extracts and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Cool cake in pan for about 10 minutes and then unmold and cool completely on a wire rack. Frost cake when completely cooled.
Almond Buttercream Frosting:
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
3 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
With an electric mixer, cream butter in a large mixing bowl. Slowly beat in the sugar until smooth and creamy and sweetened to your liking (about 2 minutes). Add almond extract and stir to blend. Frost cake when fully cooled. If you are not using the frosting immediately, store it, covered, in the refrigerator and then bring it to room temperature just prior to using.
Yield: 3 cups