- 1/4 cup bourbon or apple juice
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 to 3 Granny Smith apples (about 1 pound), peeled, cored, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup crushed shortbread cookies
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 5 sheets phyllo dough from 1 pound package of frozen dough
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, for brushing phyllo sheets, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Confectioners' sugar
- Caramel sauce, purchased
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons milk
For the Strudel:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, pour the bourbon or apple juice over the raisins and microwave on high for 45 seconds. Let sit for 15 minutes.
Remove the phyllo dough from the box, unfold, and cover with a damp towel. Place 1 sheet of phyllo on the work surface and brush lightly with melted butter. Repeat with the remaining sheets, brushing each with melted butter, stacking when done, being sure to keep the unbuttered phyllo covered.
Place the apple mixture on the nearest third of the phyllo stack, being sure to leave a 2-inch border. Gently lift the bottom edge of the phyllo stack to cover the filling and fold the side edges over. Continue to roll the stack away from you until the filling is completely sealed in and the seam is on the bottom. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- For the Glaze
Mix ingredients thoroughly.
*Cook's Note: If too thick add a little bit of milk. If too thin add a little bit of confectioners' sugar.