- 3 cups chicken, diced (or a 1 to 3-pound chicken)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 celery stalks plus 2 cups chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (recommended: Jane's Mixed Up Krazy Salt)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons reserved chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 to 12 whole pimentos, drained
- 8 to 12 deli-sliced cheddar cheese
Place the chicken along with the salt, pepper, onion, and celery stalks in a large stockpot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from pot, cool, and remove skin and bones, if using whole chicken. Reserve the liquid.
Butter 1 side each bread slice. Divide chicken mixture among 4 of the slices on the unbuttered side. Add whole pimentos, 2 to 3, and sliced deli Cheddar. Cover with the remaining 4 slices of bread, buttered side up.