- 5 slices bacon, finely diced, plus crisp crumbles bacon, for garnish
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups finely sliced iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup instant flour
- 3 1/2 cups fresh or canned chicken broth, heated to a simmer
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
In a 3-quart pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the lettuce and saute for 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour into the pot, then stir it in until well blended. Remove the pot from the heat and add the hot chicken broth, tomatoes, nutmeg and pepper. Heat the soup to boiling, stirring constantly, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add the cream and mix well.
Mix together the mayonnaise and sour cream. Serve each portion of soup with a dollop of mayonnaise mixture topped with crumbled bacon.