Cheesiest Fried Chicken Empanadas with Chili Con Queso Dip
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken, about 4 to 5 chicken breasts
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- Chili Con Queso Dip
- 1 pound package Cheddar (recommended: Velveeta)
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
Preheat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl using a rubber spatula, combine the chicken, colby and Monterey cheese, cream cheese, red pepper, jalapeno, cumin, salt, and pepper. Remove 1 pie crust from pie tin onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 15-inch circle. Cut out rounds, using a 3-inch cookie cutter. Re-roll dough as needed. Repeat procedure with remaining pie crusts, making 12 to 15 circles total. Arrange 1 round on a clean, flat surface. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the edges of crust with water. Place 1 heaping teaspoon of chicken mixture in the center of the round. Fold the dough over the filling, pressing the edges with a fork to seal. Repeat with the remaining rounds and chicken mixture. Place empanadas in deep-fryer for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Top with con queso dip.
Note: Up to this point, the recipe can be made ahead and frozen for up to 1 month
In a medium sauce pot, slowly melt Cheddar over medium/low heat. When cheese is fully melted add tomatoes, chiles, and hot sauce, stirring with spoon until combined well.
Pour cheese dip into a small casserole dish and serve as a dip for the cheesy empanadas or pour on top for a real cheesy effect.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.