- 1 (3-pound) chicken, quartered
- 1 pound smoked link sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 teaspoons Seasoned Salt (recommended: Lawry's)
- 2 teaspoons House Seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups raw white rice
Slice the sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. In a stockpot, combine the chicken, sausage, onion, butter, seasonings and bay leaves. Add the water, bring to a boil, cover, and cook at a low boil for 40 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and let cool slightly. Pick the meat from the bones, discarding the bones and skin. Add the rice to the pot and bring to a boil, stirring well. Boil for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the rice is done. Remove the bay leaves, and return the chicken to the pot.
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.