Chicken Brunswick Stew
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) fryer chicken
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, sweetened with 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, available in grocery store
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Celery salt
- Cooked rice, as accompaniment
In a large pot, place the chicken and enough water to cover chicken and bring to a boil. Cook chicken until meat falls off the bone, approximately 45 minutes. Drain the chicken and reserve 2 cups of stock. Remove the skin and bones and chop meat.
In a separate pot, mix the chicken and remaining ingredients. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking. Add a little bit of the stock if the stew becomes too thick. Serve stew over steamed rice.