- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 2 pounds flank steak
- Pineapple Salsa, recipe follows
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish, optional
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine vinegar, cocoa, brown sugar, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add flank steak; seal bag, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
Spray nonstick griddle with nonstick spray and preheat to medium-high.
Remove steak from marinade and discard marinade. Place steak on the griddle and cook for 6 minutes on each side for a medium-rare. When cooked to desired doneness, remove from the griddle, to a cutting board, and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut steak across the grain into thin strips. Serve with Pineapple Salsa and garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
- 1 whole pineapple, peeled and diced
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and flesh diced
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a medium bowl, combine pineapple, avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Yield: 2 cups