Coconut Lime Cake
- Nonstick flour spray
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Luscious Lime Frosting, recipe follows, for serving
- Coconut flakes, for garnish
- Fresh raspberries, for garnish, optional
- Lime slices, for garnish, optional
- Luscious Lime Frosting:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 5 cup confectioners' sugar
- One 8-ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray three 9-inch cake pans with nonstick flour spray.
In a large bowl, beat the sugar and butter at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy. Add the egg yolks, coconut extract and vanilla extract, beating until combined.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk and buttermilk. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the coconut milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
Spread the Luscious Lime Frosting between the layers and on the top and sides of the cake. Press coconut flakes around the cake. Garnish with fresh raspberries and lime slices, if desired. Chill until ready to serve.Luscious Lime Frosting:
In a large bowl, beat the butter, lime juice and lime zest at medium speed with a mixer until combined. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Add the whipped topping, beating until combined.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay