Collard Green Won Tons
- 4 ounces ham hocks, smoked turkey wings, or smoked neck bones
- 1 teaspoon House Seasoning, plus more for seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1/2 large bunch collard greens
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 70 to 80 wonton wrappers
- Peanut oil, for frying
- House Seasoning:
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
Meanwhile, wash collard greens thoroughly. Remove the thick stem that runs down the center of the greens by holding the leaf in your left hand and stripping the leaf down with your right hand. Stack 6 to 8 leaves on top of each other, roll up and slice into 1/2 to 1- inch thick slices. Place greens in pot. Add butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. When done, taste and adjust seasoning.
Remove collard greens from broth and transfer to a large bowl. Mix in softened cream cheese.
To assemble, place a spoonful of mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper and fold into a triangle, pressing to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers.House Seasoning:
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups