- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar, divided
- 1 cup canned corn kernels, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, cornmeal, and salt. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese, the corn, and the green onion. Temper the eggs by slowly whisking some of the hot milk mixture into the beaten eggs. Stir the tempered eggs into the milk mixture. Pour the mixture into a 1-quart baking dish. Top with pieces of butter and sprinkle with the red pepper flakes and remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set and cheese is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.