- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus 1/4 cup for greasing pan
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup cream-style corn, see Cook's Note*
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Generously season a cast iron skillet with up to 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Preheat the pan either in the oven or on the stove over medium-high heat.
Mix 1/2 cup vegetable oil and remaining ingredients together in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined. Pour batter into the preheated cast iron skillet. Place skillet in the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. If making individual size cornbreads in smaller pans, they will require a shorter cooking time. Alternately, you can make this in muffin tins to make corn muffins, but check for doneness after 15 minutes.
*Cook's Note: Frozen creamed corn is sold in the frozen vegetables section of most grocery stores. It is much better than using canned corn.
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen