- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dill pickle chips, chopped
- Fresh lemon juice
- Pinch House Seasoning, recipe follows
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices bread, crust removed and processed into crumbs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pound lump crab meat, picked free of any shells
In a heavy, deep pot, preheat peanut oil to 365 degrees F.
For the tartar sauce, combine all ingredients into a food processor and blend to achieve desired chunkiness, adjust seasoning and chill until ready to use.
For the crab balls: In a large bowl, moisten bread crumbs with heavy cream. Mix in remaining ingredients. Shape into balls about the size of a walnut. Fry in oil until brown, about 5 minutes per batch. Serve Crab Balls while hot, with tartar sauce. Balls can also be made ahead of time and reheated.
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups