Crunch Onion Rings
- Total Time:
- 20 min
- 10 min
- 10 min
- 4 to 6 servings
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 sleeve soda crackers, crushed (recommended: Saltine)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black chipotle chili pepper
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices and separated into rings
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce from can
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a shallow dish, whisk together the buttermilk and egg until combined.
In a separate shallow dish, combine the crushed crackers, flour, salt, and chili pepper.
Dredge the onion slices into the buttermilk mixture, then in the cracker mixture. Fry, in batches, if necessary, for 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Remove from the oil, and drain on paper towels. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately with dipping sauce, if desired.
Chipotle Cream Dipping Sauce: (May/June 06, pg. 72)
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients; cover and refrigerate until using.
Yield: 1 1/4 cup
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen (Quick and Easy 2009, pg. 21)