A Southern holiday staple with a new twist!
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained and roughly mashed
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked ham, finely chopped
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 4 egg whites
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can whole cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Vegetable oil, for frying
In a large bowl combine the peas, shallot, bell pepper and ham. Mix in cornstarch, egg whites, salt and pepper, to taste.
For the dipping sauce:
In a small saucepan, combine cranberry sauce, syrup and garlic powder. Heat through until warm. Cover and keep warm.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven or deep-fryer until it reaches 325 degrees F. Working in batches and using 2 teaspoons, carefully slide small portions (bites) of the pea mixture into the hot oil. Note: The pea mixture is not very firm, so you have to slide them into the hot oil
very slowly to they will keep their shape. Deep-fry for approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel lined baking tray.
Serve alongside warm cranberry dipping sauce.