"Fat Darrell" Sandwich
- For the Lady and Sons chicken fingers:
- 16 chicken tenders or 4 boneless chicken breasts each cut into 4 equal strips
- House Seasoning, recipe follows
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- Peanut oil or lard
- For the french fries:
- 6 large red potatoes, skins on
- Oil, for frying
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For Paula's mozzarella sticks:
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch ground red pepper
- 2 (16-ounce) blocks pasteurized mozzarella cut into 4 by 1/2-inch sticks
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- For assembly:
- 3 large rolls, sliced
- Marinara Sauce, jar or homemade
- Lettuce, sliced or shredded
- Tomatoes, sliced
- House Seasoning:
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
DirectionsFor the Lady and Sons chicken fingers:
Preheat oil to 350 degrees F. Fry fingers in deep hot oil 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with honey mustard for dipping.
For the french fries:
Using a large pot, boil potatoes with skins on until almost done. Allow to cool, and cut potatoes into long strips, approximately 1/4 to 1/2-inch wide and thick. In a large pot or fryer, heat oil to 350 degrees F. Par-fry the potatoes for 8 to 10 minutes or until brown. Remove potatoes and place onto paper towels and allow to drain on paper towel, and while still hot, season with salt and pepper.
For Paula's Mozzarella Sticks:
Stir the breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup of Parmesan, thyme, basil, oregano and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl to blend. Dip the cheese in the eggs to coat completely and allow the excess egg to drip back into the bowl. Coat the cheese in the bread crumb mixture, patting to adhere and coat completely. Place the cheese sticks on a baking sheet. Repeat dipping the cheese sticks in the egg and bread crumb mixture to coat a second time. Cover and freeze until frozen, about 2 hours and up to 2 days.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, fry the cheese until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer the fried cheese to plates
For "Fat Darrell" Sandwich Assembly:House Seasoning:
Mix ingredients together and place in a shaker near the stove. Use in place of salt and pepper for all your cooking needs.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.