- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Creole Mustard Sauce, recipe follows
Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Rinse asparagus with water, and leave damp. Place flour in a resealable plastic bag; add asparagus, seal and shake to coat.
In a shallow dish, whisk together buttermilk, egg and hot sauce. In another shallow dish, combine cornmeal mix and Cajun seasoning. Dip asparagus in buttermilk mixture; dredge in cornmeal mixture.
In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2-inches. Heat oil over medium heat; about 360 degrees F.
Fry asparagus in batches for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Creole Mustard Sauce.
Creole Mustard Sauce:
- 1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 2 teaspoons dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2/3 cup sour cream
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and chill.
Yield: 1 cup