- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped chives, 1 tablespoon reserved, for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 oval loaf artisanal whole-wheat country bread, toasted
Place the potatoes into large pot and cover with cold water. Salt generously. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for roughly 13 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Drain potatoes in a colander. Return to pot and mash with a potato masher. As soon as they are mashed slowly add in the hot cream and butter. Stir slowly and do not overwork or the potatoes will be heavy. Add the sour cream and the bacon and fold in the chives. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Cut a round in the top of the bread. Pull off and remove top, reserve. Pull out all of the soft bread inside. Be careful not to take out too much, as you want this to be a serving vehicle for your mashed potatoes.
Place potatoes in bread and garnish with chives.