- Nonstick, nonflammable cooking spray
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Paula Deen House Seasoning
Fried Green Tomatoes:
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon bacon renderings, for frying
- 1 large green tomato, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Paula Deen House Seasoning
- 4 slices Monterey pepperjack cheese
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 onion rolls, split and toasted
- Spicy Thousand Island Sauce, recipe follows
For the burgers: Preheat a grill to medium-high heat, about 350 degrees F. Spray a grill rack with nonstick, nonflammable cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine the ground chuck, Worcestershire sauce and House Seasoning, stirring to mix well. Form the mixture into 4 (4-inch) patties. Grill the burgers, covered with the grill lid, to desired degree of doneness, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
For the tomatoes: In a medium nonstick skillet, pour the oil to a depth of 1/4-inch, and the bacon renderings and melt over medium heat.
Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt. Soak in the buttermilk. In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour and House Seasoning. Dip both sides of each tomato slice in the flour mixture. Add the tomatoes to the hot oil and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
To assemble the burgers: Place 1 cheese slice over each patty. Place 2 slices bacon on the bottom halves of each onion roll, top with the hamburger, a fried green tomato slice and the desired amount of Spicy Thousand Island Dressing. Cover with the onion roll tops. Serve immediately.
Spicy Thousand Island Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup dill relish
- 1/2 teaspoon Paula Deen House Seasoning
- Hot sauce
- 1 hard-boiled egg, crushed finely
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, House Seasoning, hot sauce, to taste, the egg, lemon zest and lemon juice. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve. Yield: 2 3/4 cup