- 3 or 4 large firm green tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable or peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
Vidalia Onion Relish:
- 2 white onions, diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
Slice the tomatoes 1/4-inch thick. Lay them out in a shallow baking pan and sprinkle with salt. Place the tomato slices in a colander and allow time for salt to pull the water out of the tomatoes, approximately 30 minutes.
In a skillet, heat the oil for deep-frying over medium-high heat.
Dip the tomatoes into buttermilk, then dredge them into flour with a dash of pepper. Deep-fry until golden brown. Keep warm.
For the Vidalia Onion Relish:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate for a few hours.