Fried Mini Cubans
- Oil, for frying
- 1 cans large buttermilk biscuits
- Flour, for rolling
- Egg wash
- 1 recipe Daisy's Mojo Ribs, shredded, recipe follows
- 8 ounces Swiss, shredded
- 1 jar kosher dill pickles, chopped
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced ham, cut into pieces
- Mustard, for dipping
- 1 cup extra-virgin or virgin olive oil
- 10 large cloves fresh garlic, room temperature, peeled, chopped, and sliced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, peeled, very finely minced
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, preferable bitter orange
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 country-style ribs, boneless
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- For Mojo sauce:
Pour the oil into a large cast iron skillet about 1/2-inch up the sides and heat to about 350 degrees F.
Remove biscuits from cans, flour them and roll each one out to a 5-inch round. You should dip your fingers in egg wash and wipe around the edge of the bottom biscuit to enable it to stick to the top biscuit.
Place 1 heaping tablespoon shredded pork on a round leaving a 1/2-inch edge all around. Top pork with some shredded Swiss, kosher dill pickles and a half piece of the ham. Place another rolled out round on top of the filling, pressing around the edges to seal. Dip end of dinner fork in flour and press continuously around edge to insure a proper seal. Repeat with remaining biscuits.Daisy's Mojo Ribs:
Recipe courtesy Daisy FuentesFor Mojo sauce:
In skillet over medium-high heat, add about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once heated, add the garlic and onion, cook until pale golden brown; 2 to 3 minutes only, stirring constantly. Stir in the citrus juices, 2/3 cup water, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and all dry ingredients. Bring sauce mixture to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.For Ribs:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Add enough oil to a hot large skillet to just cover. Add ribs and sear, about 3 minutes each side. Remove to a large shallow roasting pan.
Add Mojo sauce over the country style ribs and turn to cover. Seal tightly with foil and roast for 3 hours. Marinate each hour with Mojo sauce. Take foil off for the last 30 minutes of cooking, or until tender.
Yield: 3 servings
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.