Tarragon Tartar Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 4 cups peanut oil, for frying
- 1 pint (approximately 50) shucked Bluffton or other fresh oysters
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose coating (recommended: Golden Dip All Purpose Breading Mix)
Mix all the ingredients for the tartar sauce in a bowl; set aside.
Heat 4 cups of oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat or preheat deep fryer at 350 degrees F. Cook's Note: Throw in a drop of water: when it sizzles, the oil is ready.
Pick through the oysters to remove any shells. Pour the coating mixture into a shallow bowl. Dredge the oyster in the coating. Fry oysters until they are golden brown; about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
On each spoon, place a dollop of tartar sauce and top with an oyster. Serve.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.