Ginger Biscuit Cake
- 1 (25-ounce) bag frozen Southern-style biscuits, baked according to package directions, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (5 1/4-ounce) package ginger thins, crushed (recommended: Anna's Ginger Thins)
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses (recommended: Grandma's Molasses)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Molasses Butter Cream Sauce, recipe follows
- Chopped walnuts, for garnish
- Molasses Butter Cream Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup molasses (suggested: Grandma's Molasses)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Place the biscuit pieces evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle the crushed ginger thins evenly on top of the biscuits. Top evenly with the crystallized ginger.
In a large bowl, combine the half-and-half, eggs, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, and butter. Pour over the biscuits layer and let stand until the liquid is absorbed, about 45 minute. Bake until fluffy and golden, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve warm with Molasses Butter Cream Sauce. Garnish with walnuts, if desired.
Cook's Notes: Day-old biscuits work best in this recipe. To easily crush ginger thins, place in a plastic resealable bag, seal, and crush with a rolling pan.Molasses Butter Cream Sauce:
In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the butter, cream, milk, and molasses. When at a low simmer, add the brown sugar and Irish cream liqueur. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened. Stir in the walnuts.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Ginger Angel Food Cake, Ginger-Rum Bundt Cake, "Biscuits and Gravy" - Orange-Ginger Biscuits with Scallion-Pork Sausage Gravy, Sesame Mustard Greens and Soy-Glazed Bacon, Gingerbread Recipes, Coconut Cake Recipes, Ginger Snap Recipes, Birthday Cake Recipes, Easy Stir-Frying, Banana Cake Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.