- Oil or nonstick spray, for greasing
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup Barbeque Sauce, recipe follows, or store-bought
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Special equipment: 6 metal skewers
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and brush the grate with oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Rinse the shrimp and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle all over with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, whisk together the Barbeque Sauce, apricot jam, vinegar and red pepper flakes. Toss two-thirds of the sauce with the shrimp, and reserve the remaining one-third for basting. Skewer the shrimp through the head end and the tail end, so the shrimp are skewered in two places, the top and the bottom.
Transfer the skewers to the grill. Close the cover and cook for 1 minute per side. Baste the shrimp with the reserved sauce, close the cover and cook until the shrimp are opaque and well glazed, 30 seconds per side.
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, optional