Grilled Strawberries with Orange Cream
- Nonstick, nonflammable cooking spray
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 8 (6-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Cream Scones, for serving, see recipe
- Cream Scones:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling dough
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
Preheat the grill to medium heat. Spray the grill rack with nonstick, nonflammable cooking spray.
In a small serving bowl, combine the sour cream, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and orange zest. Set aside.
Thread the strawberries evenly onto the skewers. Grill the strawberries until barely softened, about 1 minute per side. Serve skewered strawberries with orange cream and Cream Scones.Cream Scones:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter and cream cheese until the mixture is crumbly. Add the heavy cream, stirring just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat the dough to 1-inch thickness. Cut the scones using a 2 1/2-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining tablespoon cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.