For the pie crust:
For the Sofrito:
- 1/2 cup yellow onions, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup Roma tomatoes, diced
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 7 ounces pulled pork
- 5 ounces deli-style ham, sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons mustard, your preference
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan, freshly shredded or grated
- 2 dill pickles, thin sliced
- 1 tomato, thin sliced
- Mojo Sour cream (Alla Munee), recipe follows
For the pie crust:
Sift together flour and salt into medium bowl. Gently blend shortening into flour until mixture is crumbly. Stir in just enough cold water to keep it all together. Kneed or process until smooth ball is formed, as little work as possible.
Roll in a ball and refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove, divide into 2 equal balls and roll out to 9-inches.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
For the sofrito:
Add oil to a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic, cook until translucent, but do not brown. Add tomatoes, cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and hold to add to pork.
For the pie filling:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Add 2 ounces of the Swiss cheese to pre-cooked pie shell, add pulled pork on top of Swiss cheese. Top pulled pork with sofrito mixture. Add remaining Swiss on top of pork. Lay sliced ham on top of Swiss cheese. Mix together the heavy cream and mustard and pour on top of ham and then top with Parmesan. Add pie crust to top, wrap aluminum foil around edges of pie crust, and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove pie from oven, let cool and set for 5 minutes. Add sliced pickles to the center of the pie, starting at the center and fanning the pickles in the middle. Add sliced tomatoes to the outside ring of the edge of the pie, overlapping the pickles in the center.
Mojo Sour cream (Alla Munee):
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Mix in bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.