- 1/2 gallon (8 cups) apple cider
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 1 strip zest
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, plus 1 strip zest
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- Bourbon, rye or whiskey (optional)
- Cinnamon candy sticks, for garnish (optional)
Combine the cider, citrus juices and zest, cinnamon sticks and cloves in a large pot. Simmer over medium heat, about 20 minutes; do not boil.
Ladle the cider into mugs, leaving the zest and spices in the pot, and add about 1/2 teaspoon butter to each mug. Spike the adults' drinks with a shot of bourbon and garnish with cinnamon candy sticks, if desired.
Photo by Ngoc Minh Ngo