- 2 fresh coconuts, whole coconut, not shredded
- 2 cups chopped fresh ginger root
- 4 cups raw brown sugar (recommended: Natural Sugar)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (or nut of choice) optional
- Melted chocolate, for dipping
Crack open 2 coconuts. (Putting the coconuts in a 250 degree F oven for several minutes will make them easier to crack open). Scoop out the coconut meat using a paring knife. Clean the coconut and cut up into bite-sized pieces.
Put the coconut pieces and chopped ginger root into a large pot (cast iron works best). Cover with water and boil for 3 to 4 hours to soften and bring out the flavors. Be sure to continue to add water as it boils down. Once the water has reduced, add brown sugar and boil for another 30 to 40 minutes or until there is no liquid left. It should be in a syrup state. Fold in chopped pecans. Drop pieces onto nonstick foil and let set for about 15 minutes. Dip in melted chocolate and sprinkle with chopped nuts.