Key Lime Mousse Pie
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons fresh key lime juice
- 1 1/4 ounces (1 envelope) package unflavored gelatin
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 10 (1-ounce) squares white chocolate, chopped
- 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 1/2 ounces white chocolate, grated or shaved into curls, for garnish
- Candied Lime Peel, for garnish, recipe follows
- Candied Lime Peels:
- 4 limes, peels removed and sliced into strips
- 2 cups sugar, plus more for rolling
- 2 cups water
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the lime juice. Whisk in the gelatin and 1/2 cup of the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat. Add 10 ounces of white chocolate and stir until smooth. Allow to cool.
Using clean, dry beaters, beat the remaining 2-cups heavy cream in a small bowl, until it forms soft peaks. Fold it into the white chocolate mixture and pour into the pie crust. Cover and freeze overnight.
Remove from freezer and run a sharp knife around inside of springform pan to help loosen the pie. Release springform ring from the bottom of the pan and transfer the pie to a serving plate. Grate or curl the white chocolate over the top and garnish with candied lime peel. Cut into wedges with a knife that has been dipped into hot water and serve.Candied Lime Peels:
Put the peels in another medium saucepan and cover with equal parts of sugar and water. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 1 hour. Remove the peels and drain until almost dry. Roll into sugar and set aside.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.