- 2 heads garlic
- 6 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (12-ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp white Cheddar, grated
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked bacon, julienned
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut tops off 2 garlic heads. Wrap in foil and roast for 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle remove the flesh from the garlic heads and set aside.
In a large stockpot, cook potatoes in enough salted water to cover for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
Drain and return to stockpot. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth; adding salt, to taste, pepper, butter, garlic and sour cream. With a spatula stir in cheese and bacon. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve immediately.