- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (5-ounce) package grated Parmigianno-Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 9 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 2 (8-ounce) packages shredded mozzarella
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large saucepan, combine ground chuck, sausage onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until meat is browned and crumbled; drain.
Return meat to pan and add oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.
Spoon 1/4 of sauce into bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan. Place 3 uncooked lasagna noodles on top of sauce. Do not overlap noodles. Spread 1/3 of cottage cheese mixture over noodles, top with 1/4 of sauce and 1/3 mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, ending with sauce, reserving 1/3 of mozzarella cheese.
Bake 45 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.