Mushroom Stuffed Baked Red Snapper
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, or 1 (8-ounce) can stems and pieces
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 5 tablespoons minced onion, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (2 1/2-pound) oven ready whole red snappers, gutted, scaled, and cleaned
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter; add celery and 3 tablespoons of the onion. Saute for 5 minutes. Combine sauteed celery mixture with mushrooms, water chestnuts, bread crumbs, egg, soy sauce, parsley, and salt and pepper. Mix well and spoon into fish cavities. Secure openings with skewers or toothpicks. Sprinkle both sides of each fish with salt and pepper. Place in a large backing dish. Dot with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons onion, the wine, and water.
Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes. Baste occasionally. Test with a fork. When fish flakes, it's done.