Old-Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 cups peeled, cooked, cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided plus a pinch
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 to 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
- 3 egg whites
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.Filling:
Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes our clean. Place the pie on a rack and cool to room temperature before covering with meringue.Meringue:
Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form; beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is glossy and stiff, but not dry. With a rubber spatula, spoon the meringue mixture on the pie, forming peaks. Make sure the meringue touches the crust all around.
Sprinkle with a pinch of sugar. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until delicately browned. Cool and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.