- 1 cup self rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 7 slices white bread, dried in warm oven
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 pints or 1 quart oysters, drained
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the cornbread, combine all ingredients and pour into a greased shallow baking dish. Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
To make the dressing, crumble dried white bread slices, cornbread and crackers. Mix together and set aside. Saute chopped celery and onion in butter until transparent, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Pour over corn bread mixture. Add stock, mix well and add salt, pepper, sage, and poultry seasoning. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Add oysters and mix. Pour into a greased pan. Bake for about 45 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse