- 3 or 4 large firm green tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable or peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 6 slices bacon, cut in 1/2 and cooked until crisp
- 6 eggs, poached
- Hollandaise sauce, recipe follows
Slice the tomatoes 1/4-inch thick. Lay them out in a shallow baking pan and sprinkle with salt. Place the tomato slices in a colander and allow time for the salt to pull the water out of the tomatoes, approximately 30 minutes. In a skillet, heat the oil for deep-frying over medium-high heat. Dip the tomatoes into buttermilk, then dredge them in flour. Deep-fry until golden brown. Keep warm.
Meanwhile, prepare Hollandaise Sauce.
To assemble each serving, place 2 fried tomatoes on a plate. Top with 2 strips of cooked bacon in a criss-cross fashion. Top bacon with a poached egg, spoon on Hollandaise Sauce.
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons cream
- 2 large tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Pinch salt
- Pinch sugar
- Chicken broth, optional
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar